Parish Church of St George
The Parish Church of St George is a 16th century baroque Roman Catholic church. The original parish church was demolished, making way for a larger one which had been built in the 15th Century, and was eventually reconstructed in a larger form in around 1585. The dome was added in 1684, with the designs attributed to famous architect Lorenzo Gafà.
The current church consists of a cruciform layout with an imposing yet delicate tall façade with superimposed Doric pilasters. The centrepiece contains a steep raking cornice, and the sides are topped with balustrades.
The church is home to various works of art, notably the last work by renowned artist Mattia Preti, which depicts the martyrdom of St George. Another important work of art by the same artist depicts the Eternal Father.
One of the few existing retables in Malta can be found in the Parish Church of St George. It consists of a pala d’altare, dating back to approximately the middle of the 15th century and consisting of four different panels. The central panel depicts Our Lady of Sorrows, while the other panels depict St George, St Gregory, and Christ on the cross.
On the 30th of June 2019, this prominent church was declared a Collegiate by the Archbishop of Malta, and is also scheduled as a Grade 1 monument.